One can find it quite difficult to let go of some belongings while preparing for a move. Items that are damaged or no longer used may seem like they will be useful in the future, which is the reason why we store them. The reluctance to throw away items that one no longer use makes one pile them up in different parts of the house; however, one should not consider moving them to a new home because they are items that could make a house move very stressful.
Rather than move them to your new house, any item that you are never going to use should be donated, sold, or trashed. However, if you have some items that you still want to keep but do not want to move to your new home, you can store them in a rented storage unit. Downsizing with excess materials while moving is a very good way to make your house move easy and quite enjoyable.
Downsizing sounds pretty easy, but it is not as easy as it sounds. Here are some tips that you can follow while downsizing:
1. Start as soon as possible
The right time to start downsizing is the time you made the decision to move. Go through all your belongings and make a list of items that you will like to get rid of. Create a space to store the items and get rid of all of them at once or start getting rid of the items as soon as you sort them. As your home empties, you will get the encouragement to continue and the sweet feeling that your house move will be very easy.
2. Be honest with yourself
It will be quite painful to realize you still need an item that you thought you no longer need after you have rid yourself of it. If you do not want to regret your decision to get rid of your belongings, you have to make a list of all your belongings and then tick the ones you are a hundred percent sure you no longer need.
3. It’s not worth it moving some large item
If you have some large items that you are sure the cost of moving them is higher or equal to the cost of buying them brand new, get rid of them.
Here are the reasons why you should downsize with excess materials while moving:
1. Downsizing reduces the things you have to move, which reduces the amount of money you have to pay for moving them. The more belongings you have, the more your moving cost.
2. Downsizing makes the packing and moving of your belongings a lot easier.
3. If you are moving to a smaller apartment, the logical thing to do is to reduce your belongings.
4. A new home should have a lot of new things, which is a good reason to get rid of some old, useless items.
5. People who receive your donated items will thank you for your generosity. This will make you feel really happy.